[R] building packages for Linux vs. Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Feb 10 19:20:55 CET 2008

On 10/02/2008 1:07 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hi R People:
>
> I sure that this is a really easy question, but here goes:
>
> I'm trying to build a package that will run on both Linux and Windows.
>
> However, there are several commands in a section that will be
> different in Linux than they are in Windows.
>
> Would I be better off just to build two separate packages, please?
> If just one is needed, how could I determine which system is running
> in order to use the correct command, please?

You will find it much easier to build just one package.

You can use .Platform or (for more detail) Sys.info() to find out what
kind of system you're running on.  Remember that R doesn't just run on
Linux and Windows:  there's also MacOSX, and other Unix and Unix-like
systems (Solaris, etc.).

Duncan Murdoch