[R] Importing data

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:43:50 CET 2008

At 11:46 06/01/2008, Simo Vundla wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm trying to import categorical data from SPSS to R using the script:
>xxx <-spss.get("xxx.por", use.value.labels=TRUE) but unfortunately
>am getting an error message 'error reading portable-file dictionary'.
>
>I have successfully imported data in the past.

In my experience there is quite a high failure rate with files which
people send me and which they claim to be in SPSS save format or SPSS
portable format. If they have a reasonably recent version of SPSS
then ask them to save it in Stata format which at least in my
experience is a more robust process.

>What could be the problem with this data?
>
>Thanks
>
>Simo

>Be a better friend, newshound, and
>

>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]