[R] Rprofile.site not executed?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jan 16 16:48:26 CET 2008

On 1/16/2008 8:59 AM, Fernando Saldanha wrote:
> It seems that my Rprofile.site file is not executed when I start R. To
> test this I included the following code in that file:
>
>  .First <- function(){
>  cat("\nWelcome at", date(), "\n")
>  flush.console()
> }
>
> When I start R the message above is not displayed.
>
> I am running R 2.6.1 (rgui.exe) under Vista Home Premium. The
> Rprofile.site is in the etc folder and the R_PROFILE variable has the
> value "".

That may be your problem.  Having the value "" is different from not
existing.  Sys.getenv("R_PROFILE") will return "" in either case, but
names(Sys.getenv()) will not show it if it doesn't exist.

If this isn't your problem, then please try the advice I sent to Marcia
a few minutes ago.

Duncan Murdoch