[R] .First and .Rprofile won't run on startup

Bryan Hanson hanson at depauw.edu
Mon Jul 14 22:19:26 CEST 2008

I accomplish this a little differently.

On the mac, in your home directory (e.g. /Users/susanamrose) there is/could
be a hidden file called .Rprofile  You can edit it with vi for instance by
getting a terminal window and >vi .Rprofile  It will be created it if it
doesn't exist.

I keep all my local functions in a particular directory, then load them via
the .Rprofile by putting the following lines in .Rprofile

funcdir <- "/Users/susanamrose..../Functions"
z <- paste(funcdir, "/LoadFunctions.R", sep = "")
source(z, chdir = TRUE)

This will source/execute whatever you put in the file LoadFunctions.R in the
specified directory when R starts up.  So, for instance, LoadFunctions.R
could be a bunch of source("func.R") statements.

This also gives you a short cut to get to your functions directory by
setwd(fundir).  I actually have a number of commonly used directories
defined this way for convenience.

HTH Bryan