[R] asp and ylim

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 21 11:48:13 CEST 2008

    DE> Maybe what I am missing is how to set the "device
    DE> region" mentioned in Brian's email.

Play around resizing your graphics window..
This is very instructive, with an 'asp = .' using "traditional
graphics" plot().

I'd say the behavior is quite intuitive for some value of
"intuitive", but I agree with you that there's also a very valid
different value of "intuitive", but the two are very
incompatible, and "traditional graphics" in R is the way it is,
inherited from a long history of S (and pre S "GRZ").
You should really get the nice book by Paul Murrell on "R
Graphics" (Chapman & Hall/CRC)  which explains the "traditional
graphics" vs the modern "Grid based graphics" (on which 'lattice' or
'ggplot2 are built).

    DE> I have tried various region" mentioned in Brian's
    DE> email. I have tried various searches, but I haven't had
    DE> any luck in finding a reference to "device
    DE> region". However, I'm not sure that changing the device
    DE> region will help if one stays with plot (), because the
    DE> default seems to be that the physical plot region is
    DE> approximately square, and I haven't found a way to
    DE> control the size of the physical plot region. The help
    DE> files for eqscplot() and xyplot () indicate that they
    DE> are meant for scatter plots. But lots of plots are not
    DE> scatter plots. I was only using a scatter plot because
    DE> Rolf's code did so, and he thought I could do what I
    DE> wanted inside plot(), which I can't at the moment.

    DE> Perhaps the best solution is to live with plot() as it
    DE> is. If I need the picture for a paper, I will export
    DE> data to Matlab or Mathematica or Illustrator, where I
    DE> can get the control I want.

Hah, you must be kidding!
The control is in R too, of course, you just haven't seen it
yet, since it seems you haven't yet been understanding the
different graphics models in R sufficiently.
The "traditional graphics"  you'd be using by plot()
[or MASS:::eqscplot()] does indeed define the plot region as a
function of graphics device region (plus various margin setting
parameters), and so Brian Ripley's answer (of course) was very
accurate.

Note that Gabor mentioned a lattice solution, lattice behaving
quite differently here {not setting a plot region from the
device region}.

For a "paper plot", e.g.,  pdf() as I'd recommend nowadays,
you can set the device region by 'width' and 'height' ;
and if you really want to use "traditional graphics" here, do
something like

## modified by MM from David Epstein's original example
myplot <- function(y, yb = mean(y), ylim = c(-1,1)) {
    ybarv <- rep.int(yb, length(y))
    x <- seq_along(y)
    plot(x,y, asp=1, xlab="position",ylab="ybar", type="n", ylim = ylim)
    abline(h = ybar)## instead of  segments(x[1], ybar, x[ylength], ybar)
    segments(x, ybarv, x,y)
    points  (x, ybarv, pch=21,  bg="white")
    points  (x, y,     pch=19, col="black")
    invisible()
}

y <- c(1.21, 0.51, 0.14, 1.62, -0.8,
       0.72, -1.71, 0.84, 0.02, -0.12)

myplot(y)

## MM: setting device region so that  ylim = c(-1,1)  "about fits"
pdf.do("asp-ex.pdf", height= 3.3, width=10)
myplot(y)
pdf.end()