[R] Opening files from R terminal - appologies

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 15:50:33 CEST 2008

What I suggest you do is

1) Put the R bin directory in your path.

2) cd to your working directory, and start Rterm.exe from there.

3) Then

dat <- read.csv("InitialDataAnalysis.csv")

should work.  Note, there is no 'read.file', and of the many read.*
functions you want to read a .csv file so it is read.csv you want.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Williams, Robin wrote:

> Dear all,
>  I appologise for cluttering up the list with such a basic question,
> however I have been unable to find the answer I want (possibly through
> my poor usage of the R help system).
>  As I am visually impaired and using assistive technology, I think I
> would prefer to use R from the terminal mode, i.e. by running rterm.exe
> found in the bin directory.
>  I have managed to set my working directory, I know this as typing
> getwd() returns
> u:/copd/r
> which is the directory I want. In this directory is a file named
> InitialDataAnalysis.csv
> which I would like to read in to R. However, I am simply unable to find
> the surely simple command to do this. Just typing
> InitialDataAnalysis.csv reports "object not found" etc, as does
> read.file("InitialDataAnalysis.csv") etc. I am surely making a simple
> mistake? Please could someone tell me how to read this file in to the
> terminal window?
>  I know the file is in the directory and in the correct format as I am
> able to open it successfully in the R GUI, in this environment the file
> works properly, I can subset it, make dataframes etc, but as I say I
> would like to be able to do this in the terminal rather than the GUI.

If you follow my 1) and 2), this should work exactly like using Rgui.exe.