[R] Error in installing packages

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:26:30 CEST 2008

Lazarus Mramba <LMramba <at> kilifi.kemri-wellcome.org> writes:

> Dear R Users;
>
> I am an R user who has recently bought a new laptop;Toshiba Satellite
> U405 running on both Windows Vista and Ubuntu.
>
> I have problems on the wondows vista when installing packages. The
> argument 'lib' is missing.  How do i solve this problem?
>
> Illustration:
>
> > install.packages("epicalc")
> Warning in install.packages("epicalc") :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using
> 'C:\Users\lazurus\Documents/R/win-library/2.7'

  This is a warning rather than an error;
I think your package installed just fine.

> ## problem 2 is about downloading R without internet connection
> I have failed to get internet working under ubuntu for both wireless
> LAN and Ethernet cable and therefore i cannot download R from the net.
> Both wireless and ethernet are not detected at all leave alone
> connecting to the internet. I am using Atheros AR5007EG wireless network
> adapter, Marvel Yukon 88E8040T PCI-E Fat Ethernrt Controller.
> Internet works fine under the windows Vista system but not on the
> Ubuntu side
> Anyhelp will be appreciated.

    Obviously (?) we can't help you with the network connection
problems.  But ...

Under Windows (or on some other machine), go to

http://cran.za.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/hardy/

download

http://cran.za.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/hardy/r-base-core_2.7.1-1hardy0_i386.deb

and try

dpkg -i r-base-core_2.7.1-1hardy0_i386.deb

(assuming you're using Hardy)

  I'm not sure how much of the other stuff there you'll
need for a working installation.  You might want to
either (a) retrieve everything in the directory and
stick it on a CD or a flash drive or (b) have another
machine with an ethernet connection working while you
try to install.

  On the other hand, unless you can get the networking
going on the Ubuntu side or you're really desperate to
use Ubuntu I would stick with R on the Windows side for
now ...