[R] Installation error for RCurl in Redhat enterrpise 5

Momin, Amin A aminmomin at gatech.edu
Fri Jul 25 05:26:03 CEST 2008

I am getting the following error while trying to install the RCurl library. I have checked that the curl and the libcurl.so.3
is already installed in the /usr/bin

> install.packages("RCurl")
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.hostingzero.net/src/contrib/RCurl_0.9-3.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 150822 bytes (147 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 147 Kb

* Installing *source* package 'RCurl' ...
checking for curl-config... no
Cannot find curl-config
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RCurl'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/RCurl'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmprTpHXJ/downloaded_packages
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("RCurl") :
  installation of package 'RCurl' had non-zero exit status

It would be great if some one has suggesstion about solving this problem

Thanks,
Amin