[R] Installation error for RCurl in Redhat enterrpise 5

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 09:19:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Momin, Amin A wrote:

> I am getting the following error while trying to install the RCurl
> library. I have checked that the curl and the libcurl.so.3 is already
> installed in the /usr/bin

You are almost surely missing the curl-devel RPM.  On most Linux distros
third-party packages are split up into parts needed to use the library and
parts needed to compile against the library, and you need both.

I hope libcurl.so.3 is actually in /usr/lib.  One of the components that
will be in curl-devel is libcurl.so that you need to compile against
libcurl.