[R] Legality Question about R's Open Source GNU GPL License

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon Jul 28 21:27:42 CEST 2008

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the question
that you asked, but I don't mind answering the
question that you didn't ask:

Are there alternatives ways of getting R into the
company?

Yes.  There are now some commercially supported
versions of R -- see 'What is R-plus?' in the R-FAQ
for a list.  I'm not sure that one of these will work in
your case, in my experience it is generally IT departments
rather than legal departments that baulk at R.  It is
also my experience that, as of late, IT departments have
tended to realize that something free and massively
powerful might not be such a bad thing after all.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com