[R] Legality Question about R's Open Source GNU GPL License

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:32:59 CEST 2008

Jim Porzak wrote:
> All this is included in the distribution in "doc" folder:
>
> 1. see FAQ: "2.11 Can I use R for commercial purposes?"
> 2. Specific GNU License is in file COPYING

Furthermore,

the start-up message of R can (hopefully) help you in your case.
It mentions to type in
license()
or
licence()
to read more about the license.

In addition, maybe you can refer your legal department to the site:
http://www.r-project.org/foundation/memberlist.html
Of course, it is no proof of anything (and I have to mention that I did
not study law myself), but it might give your legal department some
impression that many companies are using the software. Check the list of
Benefactors, Supporters and Donors: maybe there is a competitor of your
company? Maybe they could gain some advantage by using R? ;-)

Best,
Roland