[R] stats question

Iasonas Lamprianou lamprianou at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 06:46:42 CEST 2008

Dear friends,
I am not sure that this is the right place to ask,  but please feel free to suggest an alternative discussion group.
My question is that I want to do a comparative study in order to compare the rate of incidence in two populations. I know that a pilot study was conducted a few weeks ago and found 8/140 (around 6%) incidence in population A. Population B was not sampled. Assuming this is (about) the right proportion in the Population A what is the sample size I need for population A and B in the main study, in order to have power of 80% to idenitfy significant differences? I would expect the incidence in population B to be around 10% compared to the 6% of the Population A.
Any suggestions? How can I do this in R?

Jason