[R] stats question

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 09:11:52 CEST 2008

Hello Jason,

You are not specific enough. What do you mean by "significant difference"?
Let's assume that indeed the incidence in A is 6% and in B is 10% and we are looking for Na and Nb such that with probability of at least 80% the mean of Nb sample from B will be at least, say, 0.03 (=3%) above the mean of Na sample from A.
The solution is not unique.
If Mb is the mean of the sample from B and Ma is the one from A, using Normal approximation we get the Mb is approximately normal with mean 0.10 and variance 0.1*0.9/Nb and Ma is approximately normal with mean 0.06 and variance 0.06*0.94/Na, so Mb - Ma is approximately normal with mean 0.04 and variance 0.09/Nb + 0.0564/Na. So let V be the maximal variance for which the probability that a normal rv with mean 0.04 and variance V is above 0.03 equals 0.80 (finding such V is straightforward). Then you must choose Na and Nb which satisfy 0.09/Nb + 0.0564/Na <= V. One such choice is Nb = 2*0.09/V, Na = 2*0.0564/V.

As I said, this solution is only approximate and probably not optimal, so see what other people say.

Regards,

Moshe.