[R] simulating Gaussian Mixture Method

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Jun 16 08:07:00 CEST 2008

Adding them together will not give you a sample from a mixture, it gives you a sample from another multivariate normal distribution.

Rather than add them together what you have to do is select from each of the two samples with the appropriate probability.

e.g. suppose your mixing probability was 0.6 for the first component and hence 0.4 for the second.  Also suppose S1 (1000 x 6) and S2 (1000 x 6) are the two samples generated by mvrnorm.  Then to get a sample from a mixture of the two you would need to do

S12 <- array(c(S1, S2), dim = c(1000*6, 2))  ## both in the one matrix, as two columns
comp <- cbind(1:6000, ifelse(runif(1000) < 0.6, 1, 2))
Smix <- matrix(S12[comb], nrow = 1000)

This should give you a sample from the mixture.

Bill Venables