[R] Error message: Bad value

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jun 25 02:27:12 CEST 2008

On 24/06/2008 3:12 PM, Toby Gass wrote:
> Dear R help,
>
> In the middle of my session, I started receiving the error
> message "bad value"
> regardless of what I entered.  I had to close R and restart
> it.  When the error
> occurred, I was creating basic lattice plots, with no other
> add-on packages running.
> I am running R through John Fox's XEmacs interface, XEmacs
> version
> 21.4.20 on a Windows XP Pro machine with 2 GB of RAM.  I
> have had
> no other problems.  I've found 2 similar reports in the
> R-help
> archive,
> neither of which was resolved; one of the earlier posters
> was running Linux.

That message is probably being printed in response to memory corruption.

> platform i386-pc-mingw32
> arch i386
> os mingw32
> system i386, mingw32
> status
> major 2
> minor 6.2

That version is a little old; 2.7.1 was just released.  If you can make
the error reproducible in a current version (or even in 2.6.2), it would
be very helpful to post the recipe, and it will probably get fixed.

Duncan Murdoch