[R] emacs and R

Louise Hoffman louise.hoffman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:45:47 CET 2008

> At the suggestion of many people, I have installed emacs on my linux (Fedora 8.0) computer with the intention of using emacs as window interface to R (2.6.0). I have gone though the emacs tutorial and don't see any information about how I should use emacs to run R. Can anyone suggest a document that I might read? In the past I have used R on a Windows XP system and used the built-in windowing interface.

Download Emacs Speak Statistics which is a LISP package for emacs.
http://ess.r-project.org/

When installed you can e.g.

M-x R         Start an R process in Emacs
%
C-c C-c       Sends a Control-C signal to the ESS process.
              This has the effect of aborting the current command.
%
C-c M-b       Send the contents of the edit buffer to the ESS process
              and returns you to the ESS process buffer as well.
%
C-c M-r       Send the text between point and mark to the ESS process and
              returns to the ESS process buffer afterwards.
%
C-c M-j       Send the line containing point to the ESS process, and
              return to the ESS process buffer.
%
C-c C-n       Sends the current line to the ESS process,
              echoing it in the process buffer, and moves point to the
next line.
%
C-M-q         Indents each line in the expression.
%
M-;           Indents an existing comment line appropriately, or inserts
              an appropriate comment marker.