[R] emacs and R

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 22:26:04 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 21:45 +0100, Louise Hoffman wrote:
> > At the suggestion of many people, I have installed emacs on my linux
> (Fedora 8.0) computer with the intention of using emacs as window
> interface to R (2.6.0). I have gone though the emacs tutorial and
> don't see any information about how I should use emacs to run R. Can
> anyone suggest a document that I might read? In the past I have used R
> on a Windows XP system and used the built-in windowing interface.
>
> Download Emacs Speak Statistics which is a LISP package for emacs.
> http://ess.r-project.org/

On a Fedora 8 box, one can install ess from exiting Fedora package
repositories.

yum install emacs-ess

as root in a terminal (or use Pirut via Applications Menu > Add/Remove
software) to install ESS.

Then follow Louise's crib sheet to start R within Emacs etc.

There is nothing wrong with installing from the tar ball at the ess
homepage, but with the availability of a Fedora package I keep ESS more
up-to-date than I ever did when I had to manually "upgrade".