[R] Fatal error: you must specify '--save', '--no-save' or '--vanilla'

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Mon Mar 3 11:47:55 CET 2008

Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Andreas Maunz wrote:
>> Hi, I get the above error when starting my program with rake (ruby
>> make) instead of manual startup (which works as expected).
>> It happens on R initialization with "REmbeddedPostgres --gui=none
>> --silent" as arguments (this is part of my way of embedding R in a C
>> application using libR.so). Any help would be appreciated!
>

> So you have not tried to add one of the mentioned flags?

I did, actually! ;-)
Increasing the options to "REmbeddedPostgres --no-save --gui=none
--silent" results in the following:

Error: syntax error in:
"ironment <- function () .Internal(environment(NULL))
     mkenv <- function() .Internal(new.env(TRUE, baseenv(), 29L"

The code is taken from http://developer.r-project.org/embedded.html
(Initializing R from within an Application).

Again, I want to stress that the program works as expected when calling
it directly, or via a shell skript.

It is a C application that listens as a daemon on some port, using
fork() and output redirection to a socket (at first I suspected this
could be a problem).

Best regards,
Andreas Maunz

--
http://www.maunz.de

       Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.