[R] Fatal error: you must specify '--save', '--no-save' or '--vanilla'

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Mar 3 12:27:07 CET 2008

Andreas Maunz wrote:
> Hi, I get the above error when starting my program with rake (ruby make)
> instead of manual startup (which works as expected).
> It happens on R initialization with "REmbeddedPostgres --gui=none
> --silent" as arguments (this is part of my way of embedding R in a C
> application using libR.so). Any help would be appreciated!

That message means that R thinks it is being run non-interactively,
which sounds appropriate in your case.  Choose one of the options.

You'll also inappropriately get the message when running R in some
shells that don't look like consoles to R.  Then the right solution is
to use --ess (which tells R that despite what it sees, it really is
being run interactively.)

> > So you have not tried to add one of the mentioned flags?
>

> I did, actually! ;-)
> Increasing the options to "REmbeddedPostgres --no-save --gui=none
> --silent" results in the following:
>
> Error: syntax error in:
> "ironment <- function () .Internal(environment(NULL))
>      mkenv <- function() .Internal(new.env(TRUE, baseenv(), 29L"
That's because you're using an obsolete version of R, that doesn't
support the integer constant 29L.

Duncan Murdoch