[R] Error in Arules

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Mar 5 00:34:41 CET 2008

On 3/4/2008 5:14 PM, Tibert, Brock wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> Here are the basic commands:
>
> These commands work:
> library("arules")
> basket <- read.csv("C:/Documents and Settings/     /Desktop/mba2.csv",
> na.strings=c(".", "NA", "", "?"))
> basket2 <- as(split(basket$Product, basket$Id), "transactions")
>
> the following command used to work.  It stopped when I tried to edit the
> axes.
> image(basket2)
>
> Here is the error:
> Error in image.default(basket2) : 'z' must be a matrix

basket2 is not a matrix.  I think the business about the axes is a
coincidence:  probably the previous times when you tried this, basket2
*was* a matrix.

> As an aside, when I start R, I noticed that this shows up, and I do not
> remember if this was normal:
>
> *******
>
> Attaching package: 'Matrix'
>

>         The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :
>
>          xtabs
>
> ** fixing ngCMatrix validation
> [Previously saved workspace restored]

Some people disagree, but in my opinion, it's always a bad idea to save
your workspace, so that R restores old one when you restart.  You never
know what is in there causing trouble.

My advice would be to always choose "No" when asked whether to save the
workspace as you shut down.  Then, while R is shut down, find the .RData
file (probably in your home directory) and delete it.  Be aware that
this will lose all R objects in it, so don't do it unless you know how
to rebuild them.

Duncan Murdoch