[R] Help with 'memory not mapped'

jgarcia at ija.csic.es jgarcia at ija.csic.es
Fri Mar 7 10:26:02 CET 2008

Hi,
I'm no expert programmer at all;
I'm running an R script ("mariam1_2.R"). This scripts calls another
script, which contains an R function, which .Call some C code.
It runs several times without any problem, but sometimes I get the error:
-------
 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x1c404ec8, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: .Call("rrfunc", as.double(dx), as.integer(nrows), as.integer(ncols),
as.double(deltadt), as.character(binmaps), as.integer(ldd),
as.double(downst),as.integer(outl), as.double(maxinte), as.double(nmn))
 2: rrfuncR(dx, nrows, ncols, delta.t,binmaps.pathed,ldd,downst,
out.index,interc,n.man)
 3: eval.with.vis(expr, envir, enclos)
 4: eval.with.vis(ei, envir)
 5: source("rrprogv1_2.R")
 6: eval.with.vis(expr, envir, enclos)
 7: eval.with.vis(ei, envir)
 8: source("mariam1_2.R")

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:
I've seen something related in the documentation, but it is not easy to
understand it for me. I'm trying to perform a Monte Carlo analysis that
calls the function iteratively. My question is why sometimes I can call
forty or fifty times the function without any problem, and other times it
crashes at the first, second or 6th time. Can you give me any advice?

Thanks and best regards,
Javier