[R] Help with 'memory not mapped'

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:43:22 CET 2008

Dear Javier,

>From your description, it seems you are not the author of the C
function rrfunc, which is where the problem is probably located (the
segmentation fault is most likely a pointer related problem where the
C code is trying to do something with memory it should not be trying
to do). Depending on the exact settings of your simulation, the state
of your machine, etc
the problem will show up at one point or another. I'd get in touch
with the author of the C code and let her/him know that there is a
problem in it. Most of these are very quickly located using valgrind.
Search on the archives and the manual (Writing R extensions) but a
call such as

R -d "valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full
--log-file=marian.valgrind.log" --vanilla < mariam1_2.R >
mariam1_2.with.valgrind.Rout

after compiling the C code with the "-O1" (not -O2, as per default) flag.

HTH,

R.