[R] R-Logo in \LaTeX

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Fri Mar 7 18:54:14 CET 2008

Jean,

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 06:09:35PM +0100, Jean lobry wrote:
> Gabor,
>
> > this is nice, but
> > 1) the logo is a bitmap, it is ugly if you resize it
>
> Sure, it's a bitmap, but the naked eye resolution is only
> 100 $\mu$m so that a vectorized solution is overkilling
> in most common situations IMHO.

a vectorized solution can be rendered smoothly at any
desired size. Furthermore, it can be easily edited and the
size of the file is (usually) much smaller than the bitmap
version. No overkill at all, as it is SIMPLER to use the
vector version.

> I have to zoom by a factor
> 1200% to see some pixellization problems on my screen,
> but my eyes are admitedly getting older and older, one more
> instance of fortune(75) issue I guess :-(

Hmmm, i've downloaded your pdf, and it is clearly ugly at 400%.
I'm talking about the Rlogo.pdf file. E.g. i'm not sure that
it would look good on an A0 poster.

> > 2) you don't need a pdf version for pdflatex, it
> > handles jpg (and maybe also png as well), so you can
> > just use the logos at the R developer site.
>
> Not so sure, I had to convert it a long time ago into a PDF
> format for a reason I don't remember. I'm sharing my *.rnw
> on a CVS with colleages working under Linux, Unix, Mac and
> Windows, so the reason could be that there was a problem
> in a given platform. The PDF choice is defensive in the sense
> that we are Sweaving with \SweaveOpts{pdf = T, eps = F},
> so that including PDF is a pre-condition.

Maybe this is different if you use Sweave. pdflatex itself
handles jpg without problems.

> >It would be really nice to have a non-bitmap version, though.
> >If it exists.
>
> There was a not so-old thread about this on R-devel:
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/R-devel/archive/19448.html

Of which the conclusion is that there is no vector version.

Best,
Gabor

--
Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    UNIL DGM