[R] Warned about these "three little maids"...

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 22:49:08 CET 2008

You should consult the summary

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/checkSummaryWin.html

to answer such questions.  These are not part of the install of R -- you
must have chosen to install some packages which depend on them.  As to
whether you need them -- that depends if you need the packages that depend
on them.

You are wrong about xgobi: it is on the CRAN extras site and a default
repositories setup will find it.  However, it is an interface to XGobi,
and that is pretty much obsolete in favour of GGobi (and rggobi is its R
interface).

Package gtkDevice has been withdrawn.

It should be possible to build package RGrace for Windows -- it only
depends on packages RGtk2 and cairoDevice these days, and I've just done
so.  (Earlier versions were a different story.)  However, it fails its
checks as it incorrectly uses "UTF8" (instead of "UTF-8") for an encoding
name. (So Cc:ing the maintainer.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk