[R] I need help integrating ggplot2 into Excel

Jannik Vindeloev dkjav at chr-hansen.com
Thu Mar 20 15:15:32 CET 2008

Dear all

I use ggplot2 extensively for my plotting routines and rexcel  to have the
best of two worlds. (RExcel v 1.75 and R (D)Com v. 2.5)

I can run my ggplot functions, such as qplot(...), in scratchpad mode, but
not in Macro nor Worksheet functions mode.

I have tried the following in Macro mode:

Call RInterface.RRun("library(ggplot2)")
Call
RInterface.RRun("qplot(x=Hours,y=pH,data=ds,facets=Sample~.,geom=""line"",group=Cell)")

With no output ...

I have tried the following in Worksheet function mode:

if Range(H40:I42) contains:
"
"
and Range(H48) contains:

"qplot"

The following call:

=Rcalla(H48;makeargs(H40:I42))

Gives me no output

Scratchpad mode

However, right clicking a cell containing:
qplot(x=Hours,y=pH,data=ds,facets=Sample~.,geom=""line"",group=Cell)
and then selecting "Run R" works like a dream!

I would like to develop an excel based GUI for R-data treatment and
plotting, and I would like to use ggplot2 as my plotting engine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help

Jannik Vindeløv, Ph.D.
Project Manager