[R] tests Rin Rout

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 30 21:39:16 CEST 2008

For questions like this about package development, you should ask on
R-devel, but I'll continue the thread here for one more message.

On 30/03/2008 2:54 PM, Christophe Genolini wrote:
>> See the paragraph in Writing R Extensions which explains this
> Well, I saw it again and again (before asking on the r-help) but I do
> not understand. Same for the Kurt Hornik slides on the web.

Generally I find it's good to look at examples that work.  For examples
of packages using tests, look at source packages on CRAN.  Run the tests
on them (using R CMD check), and see what gets produced.

>> Create tests/myPack.R with those lines in it plus lines to actually
>> run the code.
> Does it mean that each time I change the code, I will have to change it
> twice, once in R/ and once in tests/

There shouldn't be any duplication.  Just put tests in the tests
directory.  That code will be run with your package loaded when you run
R CMD check.  If it fails, your package will fail the check.

>>   If the code generates errors, your test will fail.  If you want to
>> see reports of changes to the output, also include
>> tests/myPack.Rout.save with the known correct versions of the output.
>>
> What should the Rout.save looks like ? I mean, what is the syntax of
> this file ?

It should just be a copy of the Rout file produced from a previous
trusted run.  R CMD check will ignore certain differences (like changes
to the date or R version at the top of the file), but will report on others.

Duncan Murdoch