[R] maximum of identical elements in a vector

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sun Mar 30 23:35:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

the problem I have is seemingly very simple, but not simple enough for me to
figure out. I just want to find the most (or least) frequent element in the
vector.

a=c("Alice","Alice","Alice","Alice","Bob","Bob")
unique(a)
length(which(a=="Alice"))

unique(a) shows me that the elements in my vector are "Alice" and "Bob". The
latter expression gives 4 as the frequency of "Alice" in vector a.
To find the maximum frequency of the unique elements, however, it assumes
that I know that "Alice" is the most (or least) frequent element. Therefore,
how can find that "Alice" is the most frequent element in this vector? I
assume there is an easier way than computationally intensive loops (for long
vectors).

Cheers,
Daniel