[R] help with updating to R2.7

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Thu May 8 23:22:25 CEST 2008

Disclaimer: I don't use R on Windows much myself. But: I can't help
noticing such threads occurring once in a while on r-help.

Why not simply define some folder to host one's personal library
*outside* of the main R library? As explained in ?Startup, one can put
something like

	R_LIBS="<path_to_personal_library>:${R_LIBS}"

in a .Renviron file located in his/her HOME directory (see http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What-are-HOME-and-working-directories_003f
  for information on this). Then, install.packages() will, well,
install packages in this personal folder and R updates do not require
shuffling  around of the library. At most an update.packages() once in
a while.

I have been using this scheme for a long time with much success (and
peace of mind) on Linux and OS X.

Hope this helps.