[R] package functions documentation

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:47:53 CEST 2008

The "Writing R extensions" pdf says the following on the matter:

Note that all user-level ob jects in a package should be documented;
if a package pkg contains
user-level objects which are for “internal” use only, it should
provide a file ‘pkg-internal.Rd’
which documents all such objects, and clearly states that these are
not meant to be called by
the user. See e.g. the sources for package grid in the R distribution
for an example. Note that
packages which use internal objects extensively should hide those
objects in a name space, when
they do not need to be documented (see Section 1.6 [Package name
spaces], page 19).

Of course, the message is only a warning after all, so you could
simply ignore it ;).

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College