[R] package functions documentation

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue May 27 16:53:53 CEST 2008

Ardia David <david.ardia at unifr.ch> writes:

> Dear all,
> I am currently creating a package and writing the documention files
> for some functions (the main functions). When using R CMD check
> myPackage, I get a warning message indicating that some of my
> functions are not documented. How can I get rid of this problem? Of
> course, I don't want to document every function in the package...
> Thanks for your help.

Adding a NAMESPACE file to your package allows you to separate
functions that are visible to the end user (and hence requiring
documentation) from those used purely internally to the package (and
perhaps documented less formally). See the Writing R Extensions manual
for details.

This helps to provide the user with access to the relevant
documentation, without too much clutter. It also helps you to
structure your code to have a 'public' interface that should be
well thought out and relatively unchanging, and more flexibly defined
and used functions that are 'private' to your package.

Martin