[R] R run under Emacs fatal errors halt execution

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 09:37:24 CET 2008

1) Why make life difficult for yourself by not using ESS?  You are running
R in non-interactive mode because that's the way NTEmacs does things with
a shell buffer.  But people have been here before and we (the R
developers) provided a solution years ago.

There is a flag --ess that was added for this purpose (to work around the
issue in ESS), so look up what it does and make use of it.

3) R does not run under 'the DOS shell': I presume you mean cmd.exe, the
Windows 'command prompt'.  The issue is pretty much independent of the
shell in use: it is the lack of ptys on Windows that makes NTEmacs
different from other platforms.