[R] CITATION file with multiple citEntry(): no BibTeX produced by citation()

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Mon Nov 17 21:04:47 CET 2008

[Using R 2.8.0 / Win XP / ]

I just added a CITATION file to the heplots package--- appended below.
 From the document ion for ?CITATION, there can be *one or more* calls to
citEntry() within the CITATION file, and each should produce an object
of class "citation".
With just a single citEntry(), citation produces the expected output,
with BibTeX entry:

 > citation("heplots")

To cite package 'heplots' in publications use:

  John Fox and Michael Friendly and and Georges Monette (2008).
  heplots: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models. R package
  version 0.8-4. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

  @Manual{,
    title = {{heplots}: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models},
    author = {John Fox and Michael Friendly and Georges Monette},
    year = {2008},
    note = {R package version 0.8-4},
    url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots},
  }

If I uncomment the second citEntry() in CITATION below and
rebuild/INSTALL, the BibTeX entries
are not produced, though I get both text versions:

 > citation("heplots")

To cite package 'heplots' in publications use:

  John Fox and Michael Friendly and and Georges Monette (2008).
  heplots: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models. R package
  version 0.8-4. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots

  Friendly, M. (2007).  HE plots for Multivariate General Linear
  Models.  Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2007, 16,
  421-444

Did I miss something or is this a bug in citation()?

-Michael

---- begin CITATION ----
citHeader("To cite package 'heplots' in publications use:")

## R >= 2.8.0 passes package metadata to citation().
if(!exists("meta") || is.null(meta)) meta <- packageDescription("heplots")
year <- sub("-.*", "", meta$Date)
note <- sprintf("R package version %s", meta$Version)

citEntry(entry = "Manual",
  title = "{heplots}: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models",
  author = personList(as.person("John Fox"),
                  as.person("Michael Friendly"),
                  as.person("Georges Monette")),
  year = year,
  note = note,
  url = "http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots",

  textVersion =
  paste("John Fox and Michael Friendly and and Georges Monette",
       sprintf("(%s).", year),
        "heplots: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models.",
    paste(note, ".", sep = ""),
        "URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots")
)

#citEntry(entry="Article",
#  title =      "HE plots for Multivariate General Linear Models",
#  author =      "Michael Friendly",
#  year =      "2007",
#  journal =      "Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics",
#  volume = "16",
#  number = "4",
#  pages = "421-444",
#  textVersion = "Friendly, M. (2007).
#  HE plots for Multivariate General Linear Models.
#  Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2007, 16, 421-444"
#)

---- end CITATION ----

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.