[R] CITATION file with multiple citEntry(): no BibTeX produced by citation()

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 18 17:15:48 CET 2008

Achim Zeileis wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Michael Friendly wrote:
>>
>> I just added a CITATION file to the heplots package--- appended below.
>> From the document ion for ?CITATION, there can be *one or more* calls to
>> citEntry() within the CITATION file, and each should produce an object
>> of class "citation".
>>
>> If I uncomment the second citEntry() in CITATION below and
>> rebuild/INSTALL, the BibTeX entries are not produced,
>>
>> Did I miss something
>
> Yes, the documentation :-)
> ?citation says
> If only one reference is given, the print method shows both a text
> version and a BibTeX entry for it, if a package has more than one
> reference then only the text versions are shown. The BibTeX
> versions can be obtained using function 'toBibtex' (see the
> examples below).

OK, my bad --- it's the first time I'm writing a CITATION file.
But it seems that I cannot call
toBibtex(citation("heplots")) from the CITATION file:
WARNING
Invalid citation information in 'inst/CITATION':
all connections are in use
[not a great surprise, because the original citation() ends up calling
citation() again to do the Bibtex]

The best I can do is to use

citFooter("BibTeX entries for LaTeX users: use\n",
sQuote('toBibtex(citation("heplots"))'))

It seems that this restriction is just a function of the default in
utils:::print.citationList:
 > args(utils:::print.citationList)
function (x, bibtex = length(x) == 1, ...)

With my current CITATION file I can get what I was expecting with
bibtex=TRUE,
but this is cumbersome for users of citation()

 > print(citation("heplots"),bibtex=TRUE)

To cite package 'heplots' in publications use:

John Fox and Michael Friendly and and Georges Monette (2008). heplots:
Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models. R package version
0.8-4. URL
http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

@Manual{,
title = {{heplots}: Visualizing Tests in Multivariate Linear Models},
author = {John Fox and Michael Friendly and Georges Monette},
year = {2008},
note = {R package version 0.8-4},
url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=heplots},
}
To refer to the theory on which this package is based, also cite:

Friendly, M. (2007). HE plots for Multivariate General Linear Models.
Journal
of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2007, 16, 421-444

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

@Article{,
title = {HE plots for Multivariate General Linear Models},
author = {Michael Friendly},
year = {2007},
journal = {Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics},
volume = {16},
number = {4},
pages = {421--444},
}

BibTeX entries for LaTeX users: use ‘toBibtex(citation("heplots"))’

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.