[R] Statistical question: one-sample binomial test for clustered data

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Nov 25 17:33:49 CET 2008

I don't have a good reference for you, but here are a couple of things that you could try:

1.  Do a bootstrap estimation of p by resampling the blocks of 5 (rather than the individual observations) and see if the hypothesized p is in the confidence interval.

2.  Simulate data using the hypothesized p and the blocking structure that was actually used (find the amount of random error to add to the base p for each block that gives the desired ICC) then compute the sample proportion from the simulated data.  Redo this a bunch of times to get the sampling distribution of the sample proportion.  Compare the sample proportion from the real data to this distribution to get a p-value.

3. Use the glmer function from lme4 with the responses as the left side of the formula and an intercept as the right side with the groups forming the random variable, then look at the inferences on the intercept and how it compares to the hypothesized p.  (this one is probably overkill for this problem, but should work in theory).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center