[R] lme and lmer df's and F-statistics again

Julia S. julia.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 12:29:04 CEST 2008

Dear R-users,

I did do a thorough search and read many articles and forum threads on the
lme and lmer methods and their pitfalls and problems. I, being not a good
statistician but a mere "user", came to the conclusion that the most correct
form of reporting statistics for a mixed linear model would be to report the
parameter estimates and SEs, and, if the sample size is considerably high,
p-values of a student's t-test on those.

Now, I did that in my article and I got a response from a reviewer that I
additionally should give the degrees of freedom, and the F-statistics. From
what I read here, that would be incorrect to do, and I sort of intuitively
also understand why (at least I think I do).

Well, writing on my rebuttal, I find myself being unable to explain in a
few, easy to understand (and, at the same time, correct) sentences stating
that it is not a good idea to report (most likely wrong) dfs and F
statistics. Can somebody here help me out with a correct explanation for a
laymen?

Any help is dearly appreciated,

Jule