[R] map + some arbitrary locations' heights: some kind of perspective or contour plot possible?

Werner Wernersen pensterfuzzer at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 10 11:57:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

I thought about this but programming it seems rather difficult so I was wondering if a function exists for this in R (as most of the times it turns out that it does):
I have a map (shapefile) and for about 50 points on that map (GPS locations) I have heights. Is there a function which can make a perspective plot or contour plot or the like from this little data? Or maybe some function I can abuse?

Thanks for any suggestions,
  Werner