[R] Gower distance between a individual and a population

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 13 18:41:13 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:28 +0200, cgenolin at u-paris10.fr wrote:
> > If you used daisy, is there a problem with converting the resulting
> > object to a full dissimilarity matrix and extracting the relevant
> > row/column you need for the target site?
>
> Well, the lost of efficiantcy is huge. I need to compute the distance
> several time on data base that count 1000 or even 10 000 subjects. 10
> 000^2 cost a lot in term of time, whereas 10 000 does not.
>
> A solution would be to re-write DAISY and adapt it. But since I do not
> know fortran, I prefers first to ask if someone already did it...

Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest that what was there was good enough
for your purposes. I appreciate the loss of efficiency, and simply
wondered if it would work for your purposes, given that the solution in
analogue::distance is coded in R.

I am progressing, slowly to convert analogue::distance to C, which
should run faster, but other areas of the package have taken priority
over that just now.

analogue::distance may work for you in your case. I'd be interested in
finding out (off-list) how you get on with it if you do use it.

All the best,