[R] Advice on Computer Specifications

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Tue Oct 14 18:25:55 CEST 2008

Hello

I'm running into a variety of limitations with my computer complaining that
it doesn't  have sufficient memory.   It is a Dell Latitude D630 Duo Core
CPU T7700 @ 2.40 GHz, with 3.50 GB RAM.

I'm working with relatively large dataframes

> dim(AllYears)
    returns 4071840 records with 13variables
sometimes this complains that it can not allocate vectors of 16.0 Mb and
will not return the values, of course this is a minor example of the
limitations I'm dealing with.

Can anyone recommend a better solution for a computer?

I also have access to a desktop Linux machine running RedHat Linux with
roughly 3.0 GB of RAM.  I have not yet installed R on this platform to test
whether the applications will run smother there.

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Office (305) 224 - 4282
Steve_Friedman at nps.gov