[R] slow graphics download

Paul Murtaugh murtaugh at stat.oregonstate.edu
Mon Oct 20 18:42:53 CEST 2008

Hi,

I often work from home, running R on my office computer and displaying
interactive graphics on my home computer using X11.  This was always
more sluggish than sitting at my office computer, obviously, but
recently the graphics transfer has become painfully slow -- so slow,
that I now divert the images to a postscript file and display that file
remotely (which takes a second or two).

I don't know what changed between the old days and now -- I may have
installed a new version of R and updated the o.s. (ubuntu) on both
computers, but am unsure of the timing.  I realize this makes
troubleshooting difficult, but I am hoping someone can offer a tip on
where to begin.

Thanks
-Paul