[R] slow graphics download

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 19:34:12 CEST 2008

I suspect that you need to set the type= in X11(): see its help page.
E.g.

      'type = "nbcairo"' is the same device as 'type="cairo"' without
      buffering: which is faster will depend on the X11 connection.
      Both will be slower than 'type = "Xlib"', especially on a slow X11
      connection as all the rendering is done on the machine running R
      rather than in the X server.

Basically, R's X11 device is now by default optimized for quality rather
than speed, and your unusual usage needs the reverse.