[R] What editors can I get R in Mac OS X to talk to?

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 11:08:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

I use Textmate, but every now and then I like to try out aquamacs.
I've just downloaded it from  < http://aquamacs.org/ >, where ESS is
part of the package. It runs flawlessly for me, out of the box. I just
opened a r file, clicked the big R icon, then simply highlighted part
of the code and Cc-Cr to evaluate it. For some reason the default
graphics device turned out to be x11() but that's a minor detail to
configure.

Baptiste

(R7.2, MBP, Leopard)

On 23 Oct 2008, at 09:36, Mike Williamson wrote:

> All,
>
>    Apologies if this was already answered... I couldn't find an
> answer that
> specifically addressed Mac OS instead of either windows or linux.  I
> use
> "aquamacs emacs" as my text editor.  It is essentially Xemacs with a
> GUI
> that looks closer to standard Mac GUIs, as far as I can tell.  I
> installed
> the GUI-friendly Mac version of R.  I can have R choose the aquamacs
> as the
> editor of choice, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do any script
> executions.  E.g., highlighting part of the script and then hitting
> CTRL-R
> or something similar to get just a portion of the script to run.
>    I would install ESS, since I know that is supposed to help emacs
> talk to
> R, but I have no confidence that it either (a) works for the Mac (if
> so, do
> I install the unix version?  if I do that, can I only run it on my
> Mac via
> the unix command calls?), or (b) works with the aquamacs editor.  I
> don't
> care about the editor so much, I could find a less fancy text
> editor.  But I
> don't really know how to install ESS properly on a mac.
>
>                           Thanks in advance!
>                                       Mike

Baptiste Auguié

School of Physics