[R] Repetitive correlation test

Amarjit Singh Sethi set_alt at yahoo.co.in
Fri Oct 24 17:52:28 CEST 2008

Dear all,
Through the following code, I wanted to perform correlation test repetedly (through loop) on different combinations of variables of a data set.

Code:

x=read.table("sample.txt",header=T,sep="\t")
out="corout.txt"
sink(out)
nm = names(x)
print(nm)
nvr=3
# nvr=Total no. of variables in the input data file
for (i in 1:(nvr-1))
{
for(j in (i+1):nvr)
{
frm= as.formula(paste(nm[i+1],",",nm[j+1],sep=""))            ($$)
crl=cor.test(frm,alternative="two.sided",method="pearson")
smr=summary(crl)
print(smr)
}
}
sink()

Sample Data:

S No	V1	V2	V3
1	15	10	4
2	6	4	7
3	10	5	2
4	8	6	6

But the code does not work; there seems to be some problem in the statement marked ($$) above. The message I get is:

Error in parse(text = x) : unexpected ',' in "V1,"

Kindly help to get rid of the bug

Regards

ajss