[R] License Question

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 27 17:26:23 CET 2008

On 10/27/2008 9:04 AM, Freiberger, Katrin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I learned about R during my studies at Cologne University of Applied Science. Now I work at Allianz Dresdner Bauspar AG and I would like to install R here too. Is there any license issues that need to be taken in consideration, any fees to pay by the company? I know there are answers to this in the FAQs but I didn't really understand the legal language. Could you therefore just give me concrete answers?

R is licensed under the GPL version 2, a pretty common license.  You
should be able to get legal advice on it internally at your company.  If
you ask on a forum like this, you'll get lots of advice, but some of it
will likely be wrong.  I don't want to add to that, so I won't give any
other than "ask internally".

Duncan Murdoch