[R] License Question

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Tue Oct 28 00:03:59 CET 2008

Freiberger, Katrin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I learned about R during my studies at Cologne University of Applied Science. Now I work at Allianz Dresdner Bauspar AG and I would like to install R here too. Is there any license issues that need to be taken in consideration, any fees to pay by the company? I know there are answers to this in the FAQs but I didn't really understand the legal language. Could you therefore just give me concrete answers?

This question has (up to now) lead to contributions from representives
for two commercial interfaces to R.  Personally, I do not object to
that, these contibutions add to the information about the usage of R.
Nevertheless, does anybody know anything about these products?  E.g.:
what are the costs for academic users?  How about the basic difference
between the basically open-ended approach and the rather closed menu
oriented approach?

That is only some or the questions I have after looking at the
respective web pages.  Those questions are, in respect to the original
thread, a sidetrack, but may nevertheless be of interest to R users.

Tom