[R] Simple plotting question

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Oct 28 03:22:35 CET 2008

Creating your own plot from scratch will probably not be that hard.  You can plot using type='n' to set up the plot.  Then the symbols function will plot squares or rectangles with the length of the sides specified by you.  The segments function can then add the lines.

If you want a shape that symbols does not provide (the diamond for example), then you can use the my.symbols function in the TeachingDemos package to create your own symbol (you could include the line as part of that if you want) and plot it.  The abline function will add the reference line.  You can add the text using the text function, or use par to create an extra large margin and use mtext to put the data in the margin.  Or the addtable2plot function in the plotrix package may help with the positioning of the text.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center