[R] License Question

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:40:43 CET 2008

2008/10/28  <rplus at experience-rplus.com>:

>   To answer your question, we do not distribute R.  We distribute  R-PLUS.

 But your web site claims, in big capital letters, that R-plus is "THE
REAL R". If you are not distributing R (the real real R, (c) The R
Foundation), then this could be construed as false advertising.

 So I'm guessing that R-plus must be an add-on to the real real R, in
which case you can't distribute R with R-plus under a non-free
license. You can unbundle it though, and tell your users to 'first go
get R'. I can't find an installation guide or a decent FAQ that
confirms this. As a non-lawyer, I'd advise you to remove 'The Real R'
from the web site and instead put 'Works With The Real R'. And explain
this in the FAQ. And give a link to www.r-project.org.

 Oh, btw, I'd fix your blog links: go to:
http://www.experience-rplus.com/blog.asp?b=act  and click a
screenshot...

Barry