[R] How to increase iteration limit for lmer()?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Oct 30 20:46:43 CET 2008

liujb <liujulia7 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I am running lmer(), and I had the following warning message:
> "In mer_finalize(ans): iteration limit reached without convergence (9)
>
> What is the default limit for lmer()? And how do I increase the limit?

>From what I know with lme (package nlme) where increasing the  limit is possible
with the control parameter, it never (for me) helped to increase the number of
iterations. The message comes up when the case is ill-conditioned. Only verbose
is a documented control parameter for lmer.

You should isolate your problem, and epost it to the lmer-list; but only do it
if you can provide a full example with data, general questions on the subject
will quite certainly go unnoticed. If you don't want to show your data, calling
the variables x,y and z instead of income, tax, and voting is just fine.

lmer -list

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel

Dieter