[R] How to increase iteration limit for lmer()?

liujb liujulia7 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 21:18:52 CET 2008

Dieter,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am sorry that I didn't provide data in my message. The data set is huge.

Sorry for not specifying the model in the original message. It could be that
the problem is related to the model definition itself.
Here is my model:
x1_sq <- x1^2
x2_sq <- x2^2
lmer(y~x1 +x2 + x1_sq + x2_sq + t +(1+x1+x2+x1_sq+x2_sq|subject),
family=poisson)

In order to decrease the correlation between x1 and x1_sq, x2 and x2_sq, I
center the variables in the model. Of course, centering is not going to
remove collinearity completely. Could it be because of the collinearity
problem in the randomized variables.

Note, I tried the following models:
lmer(y~x1 +x2 + x1_sq + x2_sq + t +(1+x1+x2|subject), family=poisson)
lmer(y~x1 +x2 + x1_sq + x2_sq + t +(1+x1_sq+x2_sq|subject), family=poisson)

They all ran without any problem.

And also, what is the syntax to increase iteration limit?

Thank you so much,
Julia