[R] isoMDS and dist

Carolyn A. Pucko cpucko at uvm.edu
Thu Sep 4 23:02:39 CEST 2008

I am starting with a matrix in which rows are vegetation plots and
columns are various characteristics including ID# and elevation. I
removed elevation and ID columns to avoid having those characteristics
influence the distances between points which I calculated using the
"dist" command. The resulting distance file was then used in isoMDS.

What I want to know is whether I can reattach the ID and elevation
onto the point location information given from isoMDS? or is it
possible that the order given in the isoMDS output is not the same as
the order of the original data used to calculate distances?

Thanks,
Carrie Pucko
University of Vermont