[R] using nls to fit a curve to data

jpl s-jlubben1 at math.unl.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:16:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to fit a curve to data.  My command line is:

model10=nls(offspring~((A*c^k)/gamma(k))*((degdays-alpha)^(k-1))*exp(-c*(degdays-alpha)),
	start=list(A=30,k=2,c=.018,alpha=131))

I get the error message:
Error in numericDeriv(form[[3]], names(ind), env) :
        Missing value or an infinity produced when evaluating the model
In addition: Warning message:
full precision was not achieved in 'gammafn'

My starting values yield a curve very similar t to other models which I
fitted successfully.  So any suggestions?  I've tried different starting
values.